Pin It!

Friday, March 30, 2012

I Definitely Like Country Music...I Think

My family and I watched what my household referes to as the "Singin' Show" (American Idol) last night.  With our DVR, we're able to watch the hour-long episode in about 30 minutes, commercial-free.  Hallelujah!  The kids usually don't let us watch the entire show, so we listen to the comments and voting results, then skip through the rest.  We rarely watch the live celebrity performances, but last night was different.  His name was Scotty McCreery.

I watched American Idol last season during Scotty's run, and I didn't think he would win.  Despite his talent and cutesy "All-American Boy" demeanor, I wasn't a fan.  We kept the show on during his performance because I was interested in knowing what the last year had done for the guy.  He sang "Water Tower Town," a song I had never heard before.  I had my DVR-skipping thumb ready to press the button, but something strange happened.  I never pressed it.  While listening to the words of the song, I was filled with good memories from my high school days, when life seemed simpler. 

Friday night football is king
Sweet tea goes good with anything
The fireflies come out when the sun goes down.
Nobody eats 'til you say amen
And everybody knows your mom and them
You can see who loves who for miles around
In a water tower town

Doesn't that just sound nice?  Don't get me wrong, I'm still a super fan of pop-punk (Relient K!!), but sometimes a little country music is just what you need to remember to slow down and enjoy life. 

Trailer...out!

No comments:

Post a Comment